Growing Environmental Literacy
Pennsylvania Gateway to Green serves as an online hub for Pennsylvania educators (formal and nonformal) to access environmental education (EE) resources from the Pennsylvania Environmental Literacy Network, government agencies, nonprofits, and other partners to improve environmental literacy (ELIT) of citizens across the commonwealth. Parents may also find the information, resources, and links helpful for their children’s enrichment and to find places and ways to enjoy learning outdoors.
Pages across this website provide resources and point visitors to additional resources at different state and federal agencies and nonformal and other environmental education organizations. This website is your starting place instead of having to search each individual agency or organization website!
On this website, you will find:
- Examples of exceptional environmental education lessons and programs.
- Links to state and federal agencies and nonformal and other environmental education organizations that provide EE resources.
- Information about what environmental literacy means in Pennsylvania and resources for creating ELIT plans.
- Ways to identify and reach environmental justice communities.
- Highlights of issues and education resources about Pennsylvania watersheds.
- Programs and resources about green careers in environmental-based science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Check back often as resources will be added regularly.
- Exploring Muddy Creek in a Meaningful Watershed Educational ExperienceStudents at Carmichaels Area Senior High School were interested in learning about the stream running through their campus. Kevin Willis, a science teacher, decided a Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) would… Read more: Exploring Muddy Creek in a Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience
- Introducing Pennsylvania Gateway to GreenWith almost 500 environmental education providers across Pennsylvania, this website can be your central hub for resources to help increase environmental literacy in your school and community.