The Meaningful Watershed Educational Experiences (MWEE) framework is promoted across the Commonwealth by Pennsylvania Department of Education, Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, the Pennsylvania Environmental Literacy Network, and other organizations as the education approach of learner-centered experiences that focus on investigations into local environmental issues that lead to informed action and civic engagement.
MWEE Q & A
A truly effective MWEE is place-based. It catapults students into environmental discovery, inquiry, and action in the story of their local community and watershed.
How do I learn more about the MWEE model for watershed education?
Become a MWEE Ambassador! To become a MWEE Ambassador in Pennsylvania, you must complete the MWEE 101 Online Course and a 6-hour workshop led by a Pennsylvania MWEE Facilitator.
How do I learn to implement MWEEs in my classroom or support schools in MWEEs from my environmental education organization?
Continue your MWEE training by attending additional/advanced workshops to learn how to organize and design activities and curricula following the MWEE framework. Advanced workshops offered across the state include:
- A week-long summer professional development.
- An Act 45 course for school administrators.
- In-depth workshops focusing on student voice, civic and environmental action projects, using the Environmental Literacy Model to plan your MWEE, and advanced knowledge and skills in watershed education.
How are exceptional MWEE efforts recognized and celebrated?
First awarded in 2020, Pennsylvania presents Pennsylvania MWEE Partner and School of Excellence Awards at the Pennsylvania Association of Environmental Education (PAEE) annual conference. Find out more about the criteria for the awards and apply at PAEE’s website.
Watershed Education Resources
Chesapeake Bay Program partners have created the MWEE Guide, case study videos, and many other resources available on the Bay Backpack website.
Pennsylvania MWEE Facilitator Resources
Pennsylvania MWEE Certified Facilitators lead different MWEE-related professional development opportunities across the state. These resources help facilitators plan, lead, and track MWEE workshops.
- Pennsylvania’s Facilitator’s Guide to MWEE Training
- Pennsylvania MWEE Professional Development Proposal Form: Complete this online form when you begin planning a MWEE workshop.
- Pennsylvania MWEE Professional Development Reporting Form: Complete this online form after facilitating a MWEE workshop.
- MWEE Ambassador Workshop Agenda Template
- MWEE Ambassador Workshop Slideshow Template
- MWEE Workshop Sign-In Sheet
- Pennsylvania Watershed Issue Identification Cards
- MWEE Think Cloud